I was messing around with my crock pot today & wanted to make a chili recipe that would be low in carbs… this is what I came up with.
Serves: 8 (small servings – works well to top with cheese or other desired topping)
- 1.5 lb Ground Chuck Beef 80/20
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 3 tsp Chili Powder
- 170 g (1 small can) Tomato Paste
- 411 g (1 reg. can) Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 200 g White Mushrooms, sliced
- 116 g (about 1 medium) Green Bell Pepper, diced
- Chop onion, pepper, & mushrooms & set aside.
- In a large skillet on a medium heat, brown meat with the olive oil, adding pepper & onion.
- Add seasonings & tomato paste to the skillet, stirring well.
- Pour mixture into a crock pot on low heat.
- Add mushrooms, any additional spices, & canned tomatoes. Mix well.
- Let cook about 5-6 hours, then top with cheese or sour cream & enjoy!
I was able to get 8 small servings out of this batch. I plan on freezing them & re-heating them when needed & topping with some cheese and/or sour cream, or putting it atop a bed of lettuce or spinach.
Nutrition (per 8th serving): 277 calories, 19g fat, 18g protein, 9g carbs, 2g fiber (approx. 7 net carbs – carbs could be lowered if you cut out some veggies or tomato paste)